Friday, May 25, 2012

Does Senator Fitzgerald lack leadership for Wisconsin’s future?

What will Wisconsin look like after June 5th? There is no denying that our state has been stretched, torn, and divided with friends against friends, neighbors against neighbors, and loved ones no longer speaking to one another all because of recent politics.  But does it have to continue being this way and is this what we really want for our state after the election?
When Act 10 passed and the budget was in place, I actually met with Senator Fitzgerald in his office at the Capitol.  I asked him what his plans were for guiding us back to a place of healthy civility and normalcy.   He scoffed at the question and told me that he did not have the ability to have such impact. So I reminded him that he and Governor Walker certainly had a heavy and effective hand in pitting people against one another and creating a tremendous amount of divisiveness across the state.  I am not sure why this next part surprised me, but Senator Fitzgerald never even showed any ounce of concern over my bold statement. 
The saddest part of the entire exchange was when he responded back with a callous remark indicating that he had no desire to even try brining us back to a more positive light. He expressed that he was satisfied with the accomplishments of getting Act 10 passed and the budget in place, and the means of getting that done were justified.    He then asked me what I intended to do.   I talked about my continued volunteerism in the local schools and community.  Senator Fitzgerald literally laughed at me and those who feel that such efforts make any difference.  He then told me that the only way to bring real change was to be involved in politics, not volunteering.   He told me that it was “absurd” to think that such efforts could possible make any true difference in the big picture.
In the end I left the meeting feeling deeply affirmed that Senator Fitzgerald was not at all the man who I thought that he was when I voted for him in the past.  I walked away feeling as though I had just met the devil in disguise and that I had been betrayed.  From that point forward I have continually found examples indicating that much of the extremism in the Wisconsin GOP and in the Capitol seem to have a trail back to the man who I will never vote for again.
I may not like every piece of legislation that comes along or the impact on my pocketbook, but I do expect my legislators to be genuinely respectful of the impact that their actions have on us as constituents and the culture of our great state.  Unfortunately Scott Fitzgerald has repeatedly demonstrated in actions and in words that he feels differently.  The more that I reach out to him and the more that I pay attention, the more I see that he does not intend to change.  Frankly, I have reached the point where I do not even trust him anymore and I worry about what he still has in store for us if left in office.   
My list of concerns towards Scott Fitzgerald is long, but I am especially bothered by his comments made in the attached video back in December 2010.  The flowing is just a sample of what he said:
"Listen we have new majorities, if you talk to the members of the House of the Representatives and the way they view the world right now, the more feathers you ruffle right now the stronger you are going to be politically. I don't ever remember an environment where that existed before. It was always go along, get along. A little on the edges, yeah we would take a few shots here and there at some political enemies, but in the end we all just want to be on the same page. That just doesn't exist right now. I've never seen that before, it gives us a lot of leeway and a lot of chain to make some significant changes."

As a Republican I want greater civility for our state, and a senator with a genuine desire to serve the people – not a bully!  On June 5th I will be voting for Lori Compas, not Scott Fitzgerald
Sincerely,

Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment